Time to complete our Social Media pieces of the “12 Step Program”, with LinkedIn … During this post, I am going to ask you to refer back to the last post, all about IFTTT. So here is a link to that post … Click Here
The Social Media site, LinkedIn , started almost 10 years ago! That’s right, before Facebook, before Twitter, way way back … yet, it still takes a “Back Seat” in numbers, and respect to it’s two “Younger Siblings”. Sometimes it feels as though that is by design, and then you look back at the changes and upgrades LinkedIn goes through, and you realize they are typically “reactive” in nature to what the others do. This lends to the thought, that they do care! They do want to be thought of as a Social Media destination.
My impression of LinkedIn has been as a type of “Online Resume”. A place where people go, not to socialize, but to research. A “Search” destination of sorts, for Business to Business, but it’s my contention that LinkedIn is where Consumers go, AFTER, they have found a Product or Service Provider online. They check em out… See who they know, what they know, and who else likes them? Therefore, I contend, that it holds a very high place in a “Complete” Online Presence!
Creating a LinkedIn account is a simple process. See below for step by step:
- Go to LinkedIn.com and look for “Get Started”
- Fill in the info, remembering to use your BRANDED email account, we set up in Step 2
- Confirm via email
- DON’T FORGET to add LinkedIn to IFTTT! Like we explained in Step 9
Yup! It’s really that easy! =)
** A Few Hints:
- Complete your Profile, to the very best of your ability, it is a Reflection of you!
- Use a recent photo, and have your eyes looking towards your Contact Info on the right. (Don’t ask me why, Psychologists say it works!)
- Include your email and phone number in the Description Field. (Surveys suggest that 70% of casual users never get past the information above the fold on your Profile Page)
- DO NOT “Connect” with just anyone! Be choosy. If they don’t have a profile picture, forget it! If you really don’t know them AT ALL, Forget it! “You are Who You Hang With” People!!!
- Ask your friends for “Recommendations”
- Ask your Acquaintances for “Endorsements”
- Link to your other Social Media Outlets
- and…. Check It Regularly!
Holy Crap! We are so close to being done! You are almost an Internet “Rock Star” =)
Next week – Step 11 – “Yelp(ing) Yourself Out”: 12 Steps Crucial to an RE Professional’s Internet Presence
For your review … Coach