As I’ve grown older, I’ve grown more jaded — and I think that’s come through more than I’d like in my writing recently.
There’s a fine line between negative and truthful. I’ve never wanted Geek Estate to push “rah rah every one, every startup, and every idea is so great”. That’s a lie, and helps no one. As I’ve said before, I often don’t like the fact that I look at every product from an investor’s lens now. That said, I’m certain I can be far, far more valuable being honest than telling you what you want to hear.
I’m not down on the whole industry. What I am down on is re-creating the wheel (for the 5th or 50th time). What I am down on is undifferentiated businesses/products, without any long term defensibility. What I am down on is automation at all costs. What I am down on is consumer plays not delivering true consumer wins.
What am I excited about?
- History of the Home
- Smart Homes
- Future of Cities / Urban Design
- Private pocket listing marketplaces
- Public CMAs
- Increasing liquidity of real estate assets
- Utilizing community/shared living to increase affordable housing opportunities (aka coliving)
- Lowering down payments to make home ownership more accessible
I’ll aim to spend more time digging into the opportunities/segments that excite me going forward.
[Graphic via https://merriam-webster.com/]