Startup founders beware: Zillow decommissioned their Mortgage Rate Summary API. Building on top of a 3rd party free API is great, until it gets yanked from under you. (I had this same issue with Horizon when Facebook decommissioned/modified the APIs we built on).
I originally heard the news from a founder I recently spoke with, and found a discussion thread that validates the change here.
Looking at their widgets page, I don’t see any of the old mortgage widgets (such as the image seen to the right) there either. The only widgets currently available are their reviews widget and a basic real estate search box.
Strategically, especially given I ran the API program from 2007-2010, I’m incredibly curious what led to the decision to remove the mortgage API (& widgets). There are several options I can think of:
- Too much of a pain to continue to support all widgets given the rise of mobile (making widgets work across all devices/browsers is indeed a pain in the rear)
- The widgets and APIs weren’t being used
- View real time mortgage rates as a competitive advantage now in a way they didn’t previously
- A strategic business development deal requiring a stop in mortgage rate syndication
- Not a priority given present engineering resources
What other mortgage rate sources are out there?