Organizing people online is great, but it’s my firm belief bringing like minded people together in the physical world is where the magic happens. When doers & change makers come together, strong relationships form and great things happen. You all read blogs, or you wouldn’t be reading this post right now. I think you’ll agree the blogs you read regularly represent a fairly strong interest, given you spend your time (your most precious asset) consuming content from the same place day after day.
As some of you may know, part of what I’ve been thinking about for Oh Hey World is extending the feed reader experience from virtual communities to physical communities. The blogs where you spend a lot of time — you probably consider “communities”, and you’d go a bit out of your way to meet others in that same community.
Oh Hey World is a way to connect with other members of the Geek Estate community and figure out who is nearby.
What to do?
- Sign up & create a profile (you will be auto tagged with “geek estate” as an interest).
- Check in to your current city
- View everyone tagged as Oh Hey World using this URL (you need to be signed in to access this page) & find others in the community.
- Turn on either email or sms notifications whenever someone with a matching tag (ie “geek estate” check-in nearby). This is done by navigating to settings, then clicking the manage notifications link.
- If you find a fellow community member nearby – email them and schedule a coffee date. Leave a comment here or email me at email@example.com and let me know how it went.
Note: If you don’t use the “Try it Now” url, you’ll need to manually add “geek estate” as an interest on your profile.